Ayurvedic Therapies for Joint Pain | Back Pain and frozen shoulder
According to Ayurveda, a holistic way of living, chronic pain is caused by doshic (energy) imbalances and is influenced by many factors like diet, digestion, toxin accumulation, stress, exercise levels and daily routine. Pain in the joints is very common complaint as a person advances in years. More often than not, these joint pains are due to arthritis. There are several kinds of arthritis which may occur in old age. In all these types, the indication is that the joints have reduced gap, degenerative changes are there with age and so they are not working properly themselves. In this manner, joint pains are an autoimmune disease, i.e. one in which the body attacks itself.
Arthritis is ailment targetting joints of body, bones and muscles where it may or may not cause inflammation in these parts and make patients suffer from :
- Severe pain
- Lack of body movement due to stiffness specially early morning.
With the increasing stage, patient is decreased to a worse state and extreme suffering, pain etc where they are restricted body movements. The movement results in extreme pain and discomfort. With more than 50 different types of arthritis, with each one is having different symptoms. There are many treatments that are advised for subsiding pain and increasing the body movements. But one which can actually decrease pain and make condition better without side-effects is Ayurveda.
Apart from these ayurvedic herbs, there are other treatment procedures and medicines that we use at Aasha Ayurveda which are rich in minerals and are used for nourishing the joints and cartilages. With different combinations of Ayurvedic formulations prepared by our experts, many varieties of arthritis can be effectively treated and its pain is reduced to great extent. Here, we offer personalized treatments specially designed as per the requirement of particular patient comprising treatment steps like :
- Ayurvedic Massage,
- Dhanyamla Dhara
- Patrapinda Sweda
- Churna Pinda Sweda
- Baluka Sweda
- Herbal Steam
- Dashang Lepa
- Localized Basti
- Niruha Basti
- Vaitaran Basti
- Tikta sheer Basti
- Matra Basti
As per Ayurveda, Joint pains or Arthritis is caused by suppression of jatharagni that results in poor digestion, thus leading to accumulation of undigested wastes (toxins) in body. It buildup waste matter (ama).
The disease is classified under three categories-
- Vataj – This type of arthritis results in dryness of joints.
- Pittaj – This type of arthritis results in swolling in joints where pain increases with movement of limbs
- Kapha - This type of arthritis can be seen in body in form of stiff swollen joints. With cold feeling in joints, a bit of joint movement gives relief from pain.
Few Other Kinds of Joint Pains are-
Cervical / Lumbar Spondylitis
Cervical spondylitis is a common degenerative condition of the cervical (neck)/ lumbar(lower back) spine.It is most likely caused by ageing, injury due to wrong body postures or repetitive stress. It is mostly found in working professionals from Coorporate sectors who have long sitting hours. It can cause pain in neck, shoulders, upper limbs, lower back and persistent stiffness, dizziness, vomiting etc.
Frozen shoulder is also known as adhesive capsulitis. It is a condition characterized by pain and stiffness in shoulder joint. As the condition gets worsened, shoulder's range of motion is markedly reduced. It usually affects one shoulder at a time, although some people may develop frozen shoulder in the opposite shoulder eventually.
We at Aasha Ayurveda, offer treatments with self-care efforts. Most of the people with frozen shoulder regain nearly full shoulder range of motion and strength as signs and symptoms improve.
Sciatica is a symptom of a problem with the sciatic nerve which originates from the lumbar spine and travels through lower back. It provides innervations to the muscles of buttocks, knee, back of thigh, and lower leg. If this nerve is impinged due to lumbar disc herniation or compression or fracture of pelvis, sciatica is manifested in the regions of its nerve supply. Pain, tingling sensations, weakness, numbness etc are the commonest symptoms associated with sciatica
Ankylosing Spondylitis (Vata roga)
It is type of arthritis (Sandhi Vata) of spine. It is an autoimmune disorder that causes back pain, stiffness and in later stage, may cause disability. The discs between the vertebra gets swollen up and cause limitation in the movement. It has been observed in late adolescence. With the time, the stiffness increases and the vertebrae fuses together. It may worsen or improve or stop on its own.
Steps to Eliminate Chronic Pain
- Removing the Buildup of Toxins and Impurities: Ayurvedic herbalized oil massages help in loosening impurities that are embedded in tissues and helps to liquefy them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination of pain.
- Proper Nutrition: Ayurveda advises an easy to digest and a nourishing dietary approach that improves the digestion along with ayurvedic medicines which help in restoring balance to the specific functioning modes which when malfunctioned causes the chronic pain.
- Creating Strong Digestion: Incompletely digested foods create toxins and impurities that are eventually absorbed, travel throughout the physiology, localize in tissues and disrupt their functioning leading to a chronic pain which is treated by a proper use of spices and cooking oils, by favoring digestion-enhancing foods, by reducing digestion-depressing foods.
- Dietary Treatments for Joint Pains: Ginger and garlic are extremely good for controlling joint pains. Some people find the odor of garlic intolerable. In order to reduce the odor, the cloves of garlic could be slightly fried in butter. All bitter tastes are good for arthritis. People with joint pains should totally steer away from all kinds of sour foods, since these can increase the vata. Constipation can aggravate the pains. Hence foods that are difficult to digest must be avoided. This also extends to protein-rich foods such as pulses. Foods must not be fried so as not to vitiate the vata further.
- Balancing Nervous System Activity: Vata imbalance is an underlying cause of the painful condition and is reversed by specific diets, herbs, cleansing programs, meditation, yoga asanas and yoga breathing exercises.
- Stress Management: Excessive mental, emotional and physical stress can worsen the symptoms of many chronic pain. Ayurveda treats it by herbal warm oil massage and yoga postures
- Lifestyle and Daily Routine : One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms. Ayurveda reviews and creates a daily schedule that will increase balance in your physiology and aid in healing your body.
- Exercise and Flexibility Education: Ayurveda advises proper stretching and flexibility exercises as it has a very positive effect on circulation, nervous system function, the body's healing response thereby treats many chronic pains.
Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Joint Pains: Bishop,s Weed, Ashwagandha,Caster oil, Celery,
Home Remedies for Joint Pain
- Have a bath with warm water every morning. This facilitates proper blood circulation
- Have a glass of carrot juice early in the morning. Continue this till you find reduction in the pains, which should happen within a week.
- Do not exercise wildly, but at the same time do not keep your joints lethargic. Perform some activity with them so as to keep them mobile
- Massage the joints with a mixture of camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol before going to bed.